First Church of Christ, Congregational in East Haddam
Drag box to select area
The First Ecclesiastical Society of East Haddam, Connecticut was gathered in 1704 for purposes both spiritual and governmental. The Society relinquished its political authority in 1796 but retained its new constructed Third Meetinghouse for continuing religious and community purposes. The meetinghouse, designed by architect and glazer Lavius Fillmore (second cousin to President Millard Fillmore), was dedicated on November 27, 1794. It is the oldest surviving example of the fully-evolved Federal-period meetinghouse style, whose basic design was duplicated extensively across New England and the Midwest for the following 35 years. The Third Meetinghouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a part of the Little Haddam Historic District.
499 Town St, East Haddam, CT 06423
- Fax: 860-873-2010
- Accessibility Details: Two exterior access ramps: Main Level: Historic 1794 Meetinghouse, Fellowship Hall, Offices, Restrooms from front; Lower Level: Classrooms, A First Start Preschool, Town Clothing Bank, Meeting Room, Restroom from back parking lot off of Orchard Road
- Hours: Daily, 7am - 10pm
- Hours: Worship Service and Church School on Sundays at 10AM, followed by Fellowship Hour.
- Business email: FirstChurchEH@juno.org
- Accessible: yes