.

Family Dog Rescued in Moodus Fire

In complete darkness with the back of his hair starting to catch on fire, Mark J. Favreau tucked one of the family dogs under his arm and got out of the burning home just in time.

By Barbi Batchelder and Wendy Vincent

On Saturday, May 26, the Favreau family home was destroyed in a fire.

Four family members were in the home at the time of the blaze and were able to get out, including the two family dogs. The smaller dog, KC, however, required the help of a loving family member to bring her to safety.

KC was unable to be located when the house initially caught fire. At the last minute, with one of the bedrooms already ablaze, Mark J. Favreau discovered her hiding under one of the beds.  As the fire traveled across the bedroom ceiling, he grabbed her and put her under his arm and attempted to run out of the room.

Within seconds, what is known as a "flashover" took place and the room filled with fire and black smoke, plunging them into complete darkness.

"As I was trying to exit the room, I could feel the hair on the back of my head starting to catch on fire. I was thankfully very lucky to be able to get myself and KC out safely, though. Both of my dogs are incredibly important to me," Favreau said.

The family's other dog, Madeline, was already safely out of the home at that time.

Favreau is a trained firefighter and a member of the Chester Hose Company in Chester, who were among the crews that responded to the fire. In addition to Chester, fire crews from East Haddam, Colchester, Haddam, Haddam Neck, Lyme and East Hampton responded to the fire and battled the flames for nearly an hour and a half.

The homeowner, Mark Favreau, was transported to the hospital with chest pains and his son, Mark J. Favreau was brought to Marlborough Clinic for evaluation due to severe anxiety symptoms and a possible panic attack. Both were released from the hospital by the following day.

The fire started in the den area of the home and quickly spread to the attic. According to the Favreau's, it has been confirmed that the cause of the fire was, in fact, the result of a lightning strike. One of the lightning rods on the roof malfunctioned for unknown reasons, and an electrical "back feed" or surge occurred and traveled throughout the circuits in the house, igniting the fire.  
Jane Mazzotta May 31, 2012 at 02:46 AM
We're so happy that the Favreau Family is doing well and that they were able to rescue their dogs. Thanks to all the brave fire fighters and emergency medical people who responded so quickly!
John A. Pagnani June 01, 2012 at 01:13 AM
OMG Mark! So sorry about the fire, but happy that everyone is safe. Thank God that you were able to be brave and able to save KC!
Deanna Ray June 01, 2012 at 01:40 AM
To the Favreau Family, God is good!! My thoughts and prayers are with you all. What an amazing story of courage, love, and perserverance..........wow! God was with you right in the midst. I am Richard and Astrid's daughter, Deanna. Please let us know if our church in Middletown can be of any assistance to you and your family!! I am so thankful all worked out and you are all ok and ALIVE!!!
Mark J Favreau December 03, 2012 at 04:22 AM
Hello everyone my family and I are wondering if anyone has any pics from that day please contact us for our family tragity album we are putting to gather, also people have asked about kc she gets so scared of storms but I calm her down, other wise the girls are great! My email is Chevmal80@yahoo.com thanks everyone
Karan Morin Conover June 13, 2013 at 02:36 PM
So happy you were able to rescue your pets, we lost our house in East Haddam May 26 and unfortunately weren't able to rescue our dog.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »