Jacob Hartzell, 19, of 972 Killingworth Road, Higganum faces numerous charges in connection with a series of area burglaries. A second suspect, a 16-year-old juvenile male, of Haddam, was also arrested according to police reports.
On February 15, 2012, Haddam Resident Troopers TFC Milardo and TFC Jim Connelly, began an investigation into a series of burglaries in Haddam. The search led police to a male juvenile suspect’s residence on Filley Road in Haddam. According to police, the garage was searched, and a stolen log splitter, chain saw and other items were found stored.
Further information revealed that inside the accused male juvenile’s bedroom were approximately 15 stolen street signs, boxes of baseballs, a cash register, two-way radios and two electric guitars. The items were seized as evidence and are believed to be connected to some of the below recent cases.The following information was provided by Milardo:
- November 11, 2011: a reported forced entry into a barn on Quarry Hill Road in Haddam Neck. Reported stolen was a Yamaha golf cart and a Ridgid 8000 watt generator. Arrested on warrants for the crime were Jacob Hartzell and a male juvenile. Both were charged with 3rd degree Burglary, Conspiracy to commit 3rd degree Burglary, 3rd degree Larceny, Conspiracy to commit 3rd degree Larceny, 3rd degree Criminal Mischief, Conspiracy to commit 3rd degree Criminal Mischief.
- November 2011: an unreported burglary at a building owned by Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection located on Filley Road, Haddam. The above log splitter and a chain saw were stolen from this location. Arrested on warrants were Jacob Hartzell and a male juvenile. Both were charged with 3rd degree Burglary, 3rd degree Larceny, 3rd degree Criminal Mischief, Criminal Trespass, Conspiracy to commit 3rd degree Burglary, Conspiracy to commit 3rd degree Larceny and Conspiracy to commit Criminal Trespass.
- February 6, 2012: a reported burglary into a small building at the Great Hill ball field on Jail Hill Road in Haddam. Arrest warrants were obtained and the following were arrested: Jacob Hartzell and male juvenile. Both were charged with 3rd degree Burglary, Conspiracy to commit 3rd degree Burglary, 6th degree Larceny, Conspiracy to commit 6th degree Larceny, 3rd degree Criminal Mischief and Conspiracy to commit 3rd degreeCriminal Mischief.
- The Town of Haddam, Public Works department reported that street signs from throughout the town of Haddam were stolen. Signs were identified as belonging to the town of Haddam. Many of the signs were regulatory signs including stop signs, as well as many road signs. These signs were located hidden in a crawl space inside juvenile's bedroom closet on 02/15/12. Arrested on arrest warrants: Jacob Hartzell and juvenile. Both were charged with Larceny 3rd degree and Conspiracy to commit Larceny 3rd degree.
- February 25, 2012: reported forced entry into a shed and thefts of a 1980 Can Am Qualifier Dirt Bike motorcycle and a 1986 Can Am ASE Dirt Bikemotorcycle, on Camp Bethel Road, Haddam. That investigation led to arrest warrant applied for and the arrest of Jacob Hartzell. Hartzell was charged with Burglary 3rd degree, Conspiracy to commit Burglary 3rddegree, Larceny 3rd degree, Conspiracy to commit Larceny 3rddegree. A second arrest is pending for another accomplice.
Arrest warrants were served on Jacob Hartzell at Middlesex Superior Court on April 17, while he was at a scheduled court appearance for unrelated criminal charges. He is being held at Hartford Correctional on a total bond of $110,000 pertaining to the above charges.
for numerous drug charges.
The juvenile was arrested on April 12 and released to his parents. He is scheduled to appear at Middletown Juvenile Matters on April 20.
Also under investigation is a Feb. 8 reported burglary into the Valley Bible Church, on Turkey Hill Road, Haddam. The side window of the church was entered. Stolen from the scene were four electric guitars, a snowboard,camcorder, digital camera and three fire extinguishers. A juvenile male was charged charged with Burglary 3rd degree, Conspiracy to commit Burglary 3rddegree, larceny 3, consp to commit larceny 3. Larceny 3rd degree and Conspiracy to commit Larceny 3rddegree.
Two other arrests are pending for two more individuals.
This investigation also revealed information regarding a commercial burglary that occurred in Clinton. Information was shared with Clinton Police who are investigating.