The National Weather Service issued a high wind watch for Connecticut that encompasses Middlesex county. The watch is in effect from Tuesday afternoon through late Tuesday night and includes thunderstorm warnings. Winds are expected to be 15 to 25 mph with gusts reaching up to 60 mph possible.
Possible impacts of high winds include downed tree limbs and power lines with potential power outages.
In the event of a downed power lines:
- Report downed lines to your local utility emergency center and to the police.
- Avoid anything that may be touching downed lines, including vehicles or tree branches.
- If a line falls on your car, stay inside the vehicle. Do not touch any part of the metal frame of your vehicle.
- Honk your horn, roll down the window and warn anyone who may approach of the danger. Ask someone to call the police.
- Do not exit the car until help arrives, unless it catches fire. To exit, open the door, but do not step out. Jump without touching any of the metal portions of the car's exterior, and quickly get safe ground.
Information from NOAA.gov