Father's Day is today. Yes, TO-DAY, as in Sunday, June 17. Did you forget? Or, did you just get lost under that never-ending laundry pile that landed on your calendar? Not to mention, have you had a moment to catch your breath running the kids to soccer practice and making graduation party plans? Oh, I get it. You thought the kids would remember to do something nice. Right.
Well, don't panic. Take a breath. We've got you covered with some last minute ideas close to home to whip of that perfect gift for your husband, dad, brother or other important man in your life. It'll be our little secret.
- Personalized Certificate: Grab the kids' art supply box or get on your computer and print out a personalized certificate for that special man. Does he hate helping with the nightly dishes? Make him a "Get Out of Washing the Dishes" certificate he can use one night this week. You may need to give one of the kids a little extra allowance money to pitch in on dad's day off, but it'll be worth it! The key is coming up with something you know he'll appreciate. Perhaps, a certificate for a "Date Night Out with Mom," restaurant to be chosen by him. Get creative and have fun with it, it's a great way to show him how much you care about him.
- Hit the Hardware Store: With Shagbark and the Higganum Feed Store open Sundays, the hardware store is the perfect place to pick up a quick gift. Has the man in your life been coveting that new power tool? Perhaps, he could use a new hammer since his old one is worn out from all that work he does around the house. For something fun, grab a bucket and fill it with smaller items from around the store that you know he could use: some paintbrushes for that new color you want the living room painted, some nails to fix that loose siding, rope for that new clothes line that needs to get hung in the backyard. Oh wait, that was really for me. If that seems too project-oriented, how about a new grill or some fun grilling accessories?
- Go Online: Get an online gift card that can be e-mailed directly to that special dad in your life. Some suggestions include i-Tunes, amazon.com or for the movie buff, Netflix. Dad just might appreciate being able to pick out his own gift.
- Photo Craft: Don't have time to go out and buy a card? Print off a picture and have the kids decorate a personalized Father's Day card.
- FORE! Send him golfing: Both Banner Country Club in Moodus and Fox Hopyard in East Haddam are open on Sundays. Maybe he would enjoy a quiet day hitting the balls without anyone pestering him to do the dishes or fix the siding. Just call ahead for tee-times!
Got another great last minute gift idea? Post it in the comments below.