Free Tax Help for 60 and Older Available Locally

Trained volunteer counselors will be available at the following locations: Clinton Town Hall, Deep River Library, Killingworth at St. Lawrence Church Hall, Lymes Senior Center, Old Saybrook at the Estuary Senior Center and Westbrook Library.


TAX-AIDE is offered by the AARP Foundation in conjunction with the IRS.  Its Tax Counseling for the Elderly program (TCE), provides free and confidential tax help to low- to moderate-income tax-payers, with special attention to those 60 and older.

Trained volunteer counselors will be available, by appointment, at the following locations: in Clinton at the Town Hall, in Deep River at the Library, in Killingworth at St. Lawrence Church Hall on Route 81, in Old Lyme at the Lymes Senior Center, in Old Saybrook at the Estuary Senior Center, and in Westbrook at the Public Library.

To schedule an appointment at any of these locations, call the Estuary Senior Center in Old Saybrook at 860-388-1611 between 9am and 2pm Monday thru Friday, and between 9am and 12 noon on Saturdays.

Taxpayers are requested to bring in the following to the tax counseling session:

*  Copy of your 2011 Federal and Connecticut income tax returns.

         *  Social Security number and personal identification.

         *  All 2012 income report forms that have been received:

                  * SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit statement forms and/or

                       RRB-1099-R US Railroad Retirement forms.

                  * All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV, 1099-R,

                       1099-B, 1099-S, 1099-Misc.

                  * W-2, Wage and Tax Statement forms.

                  * W-2 G, Certain Gambling Winnings forms.

                  * Original cost of assets sold during 2012.

         *  Receipts for property taxes on cars and real estate paid in 2012.

         *  If itemizing, receipts for all medical expenses and charitable


         *  Any Cancellation of Debt forms 1099-A and 1099-C if applies.

         *  Health savings account forms 1099-SA and 5496-SA.


If married, both husband and wife must sign the return.

Casualty losses due to Hurricane Sandy are out of scope.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something