1. Weather: Isolated showers and thunderstorms before 10 a.m., then isolated showers and thunderstorms after noon. Patchy fog before 10 a.m. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 83. Monday night, isolated showers and thunderstorms with a low around 65.
2. Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony Info: .
3. Mountain Lion sighting: A mountain lion in Higganum was reported this week on the :
Driving along Brainard Hill Road in Higganum at approximately 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 19, I saw a very large cat leap off of the side of the road down into the adjoining trees and shrubs. There can be no doubt it was a mountain lion, based on its size (larger than a golden retriever), its color, and the length of its tail, which was about half the size of its body.-Anonymous
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
4. Memorial Day Trivia: Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on May 4, 1868 and was first observed on May 30, 1868. By 1890, it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day until after World War I.
5. East Haddam Historical Society Museum: This weekend marks the opening weekend for the . The museum is open Memorial Day Weekend through Columbus Day Weekend Friday-Sunday, 10 a.m.- 4 p.m., or year round by advance appointment anytime.