DEEP press release, June 3
Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) ... announced the reopening of public access to Sunrise State Park, East Haddam.
The 143-acre former Sunrise Resort property has been closed to the public for most of last year, allowing contractors to remove dozens of small cabins and other support buildings that remained on the property since the state purchased it in 2009. The property is now safe for the public to resume recreational activities including hiking, dog walking, wildlife viewing and horseback riding.
DEEP Commissioner Robert Klee said, “The agency appreciates the public’s patience while this important clean-up project took place. With the support of many state legislators, the hard work of local supporters and volunteers, and our state staff and contractors, Sunrise State Park is now an inviting and safe place for visitors again.”
“We encourage people to come and enjoy this beautiful property,” added Klee.
The entrance to Sunrise is on Route 151 just north of the entrance to Machimoodus State Park. Parking is available in both places. The park is open from 8:00 am to sunset every day. Leashed dogs are allowed on the property.
Background on Sunrise Resort
Sunrise Resort dates back to 1916 when Henry Engle owned a 3-acre property named “Elm Camp.” The resort grew under a succession of owners. It was purchased in 1986 by the Johnson family.
The State purchased the property from the Johnson family in 2000. The acquisition enlarged state-owned land in the area to 443 acres and protects over 4,700 feet of additional frontage along the Salmon River.